Everything You Need To Know About Surgical Oncology
Surgical oncology is a field of cancer that primarily focuses on surgery to diagnose and treat cancer and to remove it from the body. Doctors familiar with this field can also find out if you have cancer or find out if the disease has spread to different parts of the body.
Why is Surgical Oncology Performed?
There are several reasons why a person suspected of having cancer may undergo this surgery. Some of them are:
- To diagnose cancer (biopsy or surgery)
- Getting rid of the tumor or area affected by cancer (cytoreductive or curative surgery)
- Get rid of body tissue that can become cancerous
- Find out where the cancer is and whether it has spread or affected the function of other organs (staging surgery)
- Alleviates side effects
- Restore the appearance or function of your body
- Supports other types of treatment, such as the installation of an infusion port
What Things Must Be Taken Into Account During Oncological Surgery?
Cancer surgery can be divided into minimally invasive surgery and open surgery. When it comes to open surgery, the best surgical oncologist in Mumbai will make an incision, often to remove all or part of a tumor and other healthy tissue.
Whereas, minimally invasive surgical techniques involve:
- Laser surgery: In this type, the surgeon will use a narrow beam of high-intensity light and remove the tumor.
- Laparoscopy: In this type, the doctor will make a few incisions and then insert the laparoscope (a thin tube that has a tiny camera attached to it that helps capture an internal image) into one of the incisions in another incision and remove the malignant tumors. and the surrounding tissues.
- Robotic Surgery: This type of surgery is very similar to laparoscopic surgery. However, instead of using the surgical tools manually, the doctor uses a computer console to control the robotic tools.
- Cryosurgery: In this type of surgery, the surgeon uses liquid nitrogen to freeze and then destroy cancer cells.
In addition to the above procedures, there are other procedures as well. For example, embolization, endoscopy, Mohs micrographic surgery, and pleuroscopy. This can be done by people who are not surgeons, such as dermatologists, pulmonologists, it all depends on the procedure.
In addition, non-surgical treatments may be done before or after surgery (adjuvant therapy) to help prevent cancer growth, recurrence, or metastasis. Treatments may include radiation therapy, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy.
What Are Some of The Reasons To Opt For Surgical Oncology?
Opting for surgical oncology can help people diagnosed with cancer at an early stage or if the condition is more advanced. Some of the common reasons why you may need this type of surgery are:
Try to prevent cancer: If you are at high risk of getting the disease in a certain part of your body, opting for surgical oncology can help prevent it. For example, there are women who have a family history of ovarian or breast cancer and gene mutations, they can work with the surgeon who can try to remove the breast before the cancer appears.
To check for cancer: When your doctor notices a growth or other signs of a tumor, it’s the job of the surgical oncologist to remove all or part of the tissue. In the next step, the scientist studies it under a microscope to see if it contains cancer cells. This procedure is known as a biopsy.
To understand how severe it is: Oncologists use surgery to understand how advanced someone’s condition is. They do a thorough analysis of the tumor and understand whether or not it has spread to different parts of the body, such as the lymph nodes.
To treat cancer: The main job of surgical oncologists is to remove tumors and kill cancer cells. Here are some different types of surgeries:
- Debulking: Oncologists opt for this surgery when it is too risky to remove the entire tumor. They try to remove as much as possible and treat the rest with the help of chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Curative: In this type of procedure, surgeons will remove the tumor that is in one place. You may need radiation or chemotherapy sooner or later.
To relieve symptoms: Due to certain circumstances, if your doctor cannot remove the cancer with surgery, he or she may suggest that you opt for palliative surgery. This can help you feel better. This surgery can help relieve symptoms of advanced cancer. For example, if a tumor is pressing on a nerve or bone and causing a lot of discomfort, a surgical oncologist may perform this surgery to provide some relief.
In the end, before making any decisions, do a thorough analysis and find a surgical oncologist who is extremely skilled at removing the tumor. To learn more about the surgical procedure, book an appointment at the best hospital for high quality and affordable medical treatment in Mumbai, India.